Sunday, October 6, 2013

Review: The Rising by Kelley Armstrong

The Rising by Kelley Armstrong
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Series: Darkness Rising #3
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publisher: HarperCollins April 2, 2013
Pages: 406

Synopsis:

Things are getting desperate for Maya and her friends. Hunted by the powerful St. Clouds and now a rival Cabal as well, they're quickly running out of places to hide. And with the whole world thinking they died in a helicopter crash, it's not like they can just go to the authorities for help.

All they have is the name and number of someone who might be able to give them a few answers. Answers to why they're so valuable, and why their supernatural powers are getting more and more out of control.

But Maya is unprepared for the truths that await her. And now, like it or not, she'll have to face down some demons from her past if she ever hopes to move on with her life. Because Maya can't keep running forever.

Old secrets are revealed and unexpected characters make a surprising return in this stunning conclusion to Kelley Armstrong's New York Times bestselling Darkness Rising trilogy.

My thoughts:

**Some Spoilers**

It’s done. The last book in the Darkness Rising trilogy is over. There will be no more adventures with Maya, Daniel, Rafe, Corey, Ash, Chloe, Derek, Simon, and Tori. That sucks. But, I think, I hope, that Kelley Armstrong will write more books about these characters. I’m saying this ‘cause she left some stuff open like their story is not done quite yet. Maya, Chloe, and the others still intend to fight back when their older so that’s when another series could come in to play. And it could coincide with Armstrong’s adult series. Again, I hope so badly. 

Now on to the book. The Rising was well done, in my opinion. I liked the pace and the plot of the story. The ending was good, all loose ends tied up. But, like I said before I think Armstrong leaves more for a continuation with the characters. I would have liked more of their powers shown more in the action scenes and stuff though. I also wanted Maya to end up with Rafe but I guess Daniel will do. I thought it was a little abrupt with the ending in that aspect. I loved that Chloe, Derek, Simon, and Tori were in it but I wanted them in it more. Other than these things, I enjoyed The Rising and am sad for this one to be the last in the trilogy.

Favorite Quotes:

“I gave him a look. “Do you really think that matters? We’re bought and paid for, whatever the currency. They say they want us happy, but they really just want compliant.” I looked at him. “I don’t do compliant.” 
--Maya 

Maya: “But you weren’t paying attention to Antone’s message, were you?”
Ash: “Considering how long it was, I don’t think anyone was. The guy just goes on and on. I see where you get it from.”
--Maya and Ash

"We’ll meet you here. Hopefully everyone will be in human form.” A wry smile. “Though I’ll warn you, he’s not a whole lot more pleasant that way. At least as a wolf, he can’t talk.” 
--Chloe

“We ran to the others—it was clear Derek wasn’t accepting a leisurely stroll. I took the lead so this huge guy wouldn’t come barreling down on them. That wasn’t the way anyone needed to wake up. It was still chaos. Derek barked orders. Chloe tried to calm him. When he didn’t listen, I snapped that he wasn’t helping matters. He snapped back. Ash jumped to my defense, snarling like an alley cat. Daniel intervened to mediate. Derek turned on him. Corey rushed to Daniel’s side, fists ready. Rafe braced to join in if a fight broke out.
It was fun.” 
--Maya

Corey: “Uh-huh. I suspected I was getting the cold shoulder earlier, but with everything going on, I wasn’t sure. Now I’m sure. You’re giving me the look.”
Maya: “What look?”
Corey: “The Maya’s-pissed-with-Corey look. Fifty percent disappointment, thirty percent disapproval, twenty percent exasperation. I’ve done something you’re not happy about.”
--Corey and Maya

Maya: “Daniel and I raced over as Corey rose, rubbing his shoulder and wincing.”
Corey: “Okay,” he said. “How did I end up--?”
Maya: “He convulsed and retched, spewing the cupboards with half-digested pizza.”
Corey: “Really not a cool power”
--Maya and Corey

Maya: “I crouched as Corey sat. “Did you see anything else?” He glowered at Derek.”
Corey: “I’m sure I would have if Teen Wolf hadn’t tried to dislocate my shoulder. The vision’s gone now, and once it’s gone, it doesn’t come back.”
--Maya and Corey

“Yes, Daniel had a truck. No, it wasn’t his old, falling-apart one. It wasn’t brand new, but the Nasts diligently rewarded responsibility. Daniel could be trusted not to take off at midnight and go partying in the next town, so Daniel got his own truck. Corey had a bicycle.” 
--Maya

What did you think of The Rising? Please comment, let me know!
 photo b2signature_zps8268ed47.jpg
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Brianna's Book Buzz 2012 | Blogger Template by Enny Law - Ngetik Dot Com - Nulis