Friday, October 25, 2013

Review: Fallen by Lauren Kate

My rating: 2 of 5 stars
Series: Fallen #1
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publisher: Delacorte Press December 8, 2009
Pages: 452

Synopsis:

There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.




Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.



Even Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce – he goes out of his way to make that very clear. But she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, Luce has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret...even if it kills her.



Dangerously exciting and darkly romantic, FALLEN is a page-turning thriller and the ultimate love story.

My thoughts:

I picked up Fallen expecting some sort of angel romance because, you know, the synopsis says it's "the ultimate love story." Wrong. There is no love story. What, you call an infatuation with a rude and standoffish guy a romance? I mean for heaven's sake, when Luce first meets Daniel, he flips her off. If some random dude I just met flipped me off for no apparent reason I would be like what the fuck is your problem? Instead, we have Luce wondering what she did wrong to have this gorgeous guy, (her thoughts, not mine) flip her off. What. The. Hell. Yeah, doesn't make sense.

Anyways, we get it later on why Daniel is so disrespectful and mean to Luce. So, he's trying to stay away from her because whenever they're together Luce ends up dying. So, then dude stay away from her! Simple. Well, there would be no book if they didn't end up getting together. You know, forbidden love and all that.

As for the plot, wait...what the heck was the plot anyways? Oh, right the romance. And let's not forget the angel bit. For the record, I thought that was incredibly lame. I mean you knew something was up right away but the whole ending with the big fight between Cam and the "bad" angels versus Daniel and the "good" angels was so anticlimactic. I was expecting more.

Even though I found Fallen to be nothing what I was hoping for, I'm still going to give the sequel, Torment, a try. I don't know, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. Here's to hoping. And, hey if you're looking for a good angel series check out Unearthly by Cynthia Hand. You won't be disappointed (at least I wasn't).

One more thing: that cover is AMAZING. Too bad the book's not.
 photo b2signature_zps8268ed47.jpg
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Brianna's Book Buzz 2012 | Blogger Template by Enny Law - Ngetik Dot Com - Nulis