Monday, October 21, 2013

Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent by Veronica Roth
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Series: Divergent #1
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books May 3, 2011
Pages: 496

Synopsis:

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.


Debut author Veronica Roth bursts onto the literary scene with the first book in the Divergent series—dystopian thrillers filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance.

My thoughts:


"I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."
Wow. Really good book.

I read a review a little while back that said that writing reviews for books you really love is hard as opposed to writing reviews for books you didn't like because it's easy to write about things you didn't like. This is kinda true because, let me tell you, I can go on long winded rants about all the bad things in a book. But, then I read a certain young adult dystopian book that goes by the name of Divergent, and I sit down to go and review said book and I have no idea what to say other than:

I LOVE this book!!
Divergent is awesome!
Tris is such a strong and kickass main character!!
I LOVE this book!!
Divergent is fast paced, fun, and intriguing!
I LOVE this book!!
Did I mention that I LOVE this book?!?

See what I mean? It seems I can't form a coherent and well written review for books like Divergent.

Yeah, Divergent was that good. So, go read it. I HIGHLY recommend it!


And I can't freakin wait for the movie coming in 2014!!! Yay!!
Favorite Quotes: 

"I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."


"What was your first hallucination?" I say, glancing at him.
"It wasn't a 'what' so much as a 'who.'" He shrugs. "It's not important."
"And are you over that fear now?"
"Not yet." We reach the door to the dormitory, and he leans against the wall, sliding his hands into his pockets. "I may never be."
"So they don't go away?"
"Sometimes they do. And sometimes new fears replace them." His thumbs hook around his belt loops. "But becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it, that's the point."
--Tris and Four


"I didn't jump off the roof because I wanted to be like the Dauntless. I jumped off because I already was like them, and I wanted to show myself to them. I wanted to acknowledge a part of myself that Abnegation demanded that I hide."
--Tris


*Spoiler*
"I shake my head. Courageous? Courageous would have been admitting weakness and leaving Dauntless, no matter what shame accompanied it. Pride is what killed Al, and it is the flaw in every Dauntless heart. It is mine."
--Tris


"We believe in bravery. We believe in taking action. We believe in freedom from fear and in acquiring the skills to force the bad out of your world so that the good can prosper and thrive. If you also believe in those things, we welcome you."
--Dauntless
 photo b2signature_zps8268ed47.jpg

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Brianna's Book Buzz 2012 | Blogger Template by Enny Law - Ngetik Dot Com - Nulis