Monday, November 4, 2013

Review: Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Insurgent by Veronica Roth
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Series: Divergent #2
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books May 1, 2012
Pages: 525

Synopsis:

One choice can transform you, or destroy you.


Every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves, and herself, while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love. 

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable—and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.

My thoughts:

Remember my review of Divergent? You know, the one where I couldn't form a coherent review? Yeah, well I think I might have the same problem with Insurgent. In that case, I'll keep this one brief. So, basically this is all you need to know about Insurgent:

It's a REALLY GOOD book. It's NOT boring. Tris and Four are awesome. (Notice how I say Four and not Tobias.)

Now here are my favorite quotes from Insurgent.

Favorite Quotes:

"Sometimes I feel like I am collecting the lessons each faction has to teach me, and storing them in my mind like a guidebook for moving through the world. There is always something to learn, always something that is important to understand."
--Tris

"By the time the fight dies down, my clothes are more paint-colored than black. I decide to keep the shirt to remind me why I chose Dauntless in the first place: not because they are perfect, but because they are alive. Because they are free."
--Tris


"I look at the mirror. It's not so difficult to pretend that I'm speaking to Jeanine when I speak to my own relfection. My hair is blond like hers; we are both pale and stern-looking. The thought is so disturbing to me that I lose my train of thought for a few seconds, and instead stand with my finger in the air in silence.
I am pale-skinned, pale-haired, and cold. I am curious about the pictures of my brain. I am like Jeanine. And I can either despise it, attack it, eradicate it...or I can use it."
--Tris


"What did you do?" I mumble. He is just a few feet away from me now, but not close enough to hear me. As he passes me he stretches out his hand. He wraps it around my palm and squeezes. Squeezes, then lets go. His eyes are bloodshot; he is pale.
"What did you do?" This time the question tears from my throat like a growl. I throw myself toward him, struggling against Peter's grip, though his hands chafe.
"What did you do?" I scream.
"You die, I die too." Tobias looks over his shoulder at me. "I asked you not to do this. You made your decision. These are the repercussions."
--Tris and Four


"I read somewhere, once, that crying defies scientific explanation. Tears are only meant to lubricate the eyes. There is no real reason for tear glands to overproduce tears at the behest of emotion.
I think we cry to release the animal parts of us without losing our humanity. Because inside me is a beast that snarls, and growls, and strains toward freedom, toward Tobias, and, above all, toward life. And as hard as I try, I cannot kill it.
So I sob into my hands instead."
--Tris


"People, I have discovered, are layers and layers of secrets. You believe you know them, that you understand them, but their motives are always hidden from you, buried in their own hearts. You will never know them, but sometimes you decide to trust them."
--Tris
 photo b2signature_zps8268ed47.jpg
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Brianna's Book Buzz 2012 | Blogger Template by Enny Law - Ngetik Dot Com - Nulis