Saturday, November 23, 2013

Review: Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Series: Nightshade #1
Reading Level: Young Adult
Publisher: Philomel October 19, 2010
Pages: 452

Synopsis:

Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything- including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?



My Thoughts {bzzzzzzzzzz}:

  • The Scene
Well, oh, well, what do we have here? Werewolves, love triangles, giant spiders, creepy wraiths, keepers, searchers -- wait, GIANT SPIDERS?!? Actually, it was just one spider. But, still that was one giant mother of an arachnid. Huge freaky-assed spiders aside, the scene of Nightshade was comprised of kickass werewolves and, surprise, a complicated love triangle. Don't turn your nose away just yet though. This book has some buzz.
  • The Girl
Calla Tor's a Guardian which is just a fancy way of saying she's a werewolf, part of a pack that guards sacred sites for their "masters", the Keepers, to keep away from the Searchers. Oh, and Calla's also the alpha of her young pack, the Nightshade's, soon to be merged with the Bane's. Did ya get that? Don't worry just read the book and you'll get it. Matter of fact, you might just love it.

  • The Boy(s)
Holy love triangle! Ren or Shay? Shay or Ren? Who cares? They're both smokin' and awesome! (Did I just say smokin'?) No, but seriously for me I lean more toward Ren. Shay just seemed a little too insta-love between him and Calla.

  • The WTF?!
Calla and Shay's insta-love. Calla's switch between two boys like bam! she's with Ren so she's all over him then kaboom! she's with Shay and fawning over him. I mean, jeez pick one. But, then again that's the whole complicated love triangle thingy. Also, we're back to the big, giant, nasty frickin' assed spider. Yeah, and it's a brown recluse. So, not only it can kill you with it's huge size, but you also have to watch out for it's poison or venom or whatever too. Did I mention that I HATE spiders? No, like abhor, detest, cringe, shudder, loathe, dislike, repulsed, and revolted by these eight legged things. So, you can imagine my dislike when I read that scene. I'm totally like Ron Weasley with the "Why spiders? Why couldn't it be follow the butterflies?"


  • The Buzz
If your looking for a buzzy book then you've come to the right place! Nightshade has tons of buzz! It's full of action, romance, and supernatural foray. Personally, I loved it and can't wait to read book two, Wolfsbane!


  • My Favorite Quotes
"I've never really made friends, at least not close ones, I think that's why I read so much. Books have been my real companions."

--Shay

"I belong to Ren," I said, hating the words, wishing Shay could kiss me and make the rest of the world disappear. "There's nothing I can do to change that."
"You belong to yourself," he said quietly. "And I can wait for you to figure that out."
--Calla and Shay

"Tell me you'll come back for the pack. For me." His eyes were bright with tears. "I don't want to lose you."
I couldn't speak. Tears welled up in my eyes and I stepped away from him. But Ren caught me in his arms.
"Do you love him?" His eyes searched mine.
"Don't ask that," I said, lips still burning from my confession to Shay, now stinging with deceit. "This isn't about love. It's about survival."
"No, Calla." His voice became hushed. "This is only about love."
And then he was kissing me. His lips moved over mine in a slow caress, hands running over my body, every touch begging me to stay. I could tell he believed he would never kiss me again. Part of me wanted to linger, clinging to him, knowing all the ways we were meant for each other, how well we fit. But another part tugged me away already running through the forest, chasing after a fate unknown. I choked back a sob when Ren released me and turned away.
The charcoal gray wolf paused and looked back once more before disappearing into the trees. From behind me, I heard the lone cry of a wolf. The howl echoed as it rose toward the full moon, a sound full of agony and irreparable loss.
--Calla and Ren
Ahhh, this last quote! The feels!
 photo b2signature_zps8268ed47.jpg
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Brianna's Book Buzz 2012 | Blogger Template by Enny Law - Ngetik Dot Com - Nulis